NAMI Los Angeles County Council offers an array of support and education programs that help build better lives for the thousands of Angelenos affected by mental illness.
List of Programs
Below is a list of NAMI programs offered by local affiliates through NAMI Los Angeles County Council.
- Family-to-Family/Familia a Familia is a 12-week course for families, partners and friends of individuals with serious mental illness taught by trained NAMI family members and caregivers of individuals living with mental illness.
- Basics/Bases y Fundamentos is a 6-session education program developed specifically for parents and other family caregivers of children and adolescents.
- In Our Own Voice is a public education program in which two trained consumer speakers share their stories of living with mental illness and achieving recovery.
- Parents and Teachers as Allies is an in-service program that helps school professionals and families understand the early warning signs of mental illness in children and adolescents.
- Ending the Silence is a 50-minute presentation designed to give students an opportunity to learn about mental illness through an informative presentation.
- NAMIWalks is the largest anti-stigma walk-a-thon in America. This team event raises public awareness and supports NAMI programs outlined on this page. The Los Angeles Walk is on Saturday, October 3, 2015. Mark your calendar!
- NAMI in the Lobby is a program in which volunteers are available at local hospitals and clinics with inpatient psychiatric units to provide support, hope, educational materials, and to steer families to NAMI classes or support groups.
- Family and Parent Voice is a speaker’s bureau that includes parents and family members who go out and speak to the public about mental illness and NAMI’s resources. There is more focus on the family experience in this program than in the In Our Own Voice program.
- Pathways Conference A countywide conference offering an array of educational programs and speakers on mental illness to support family members of those with a mental illness diagnosis.
- Spirituality Conference A countywide conference focusing on the intersections of spirituality and mental illness.
- Diversity Conference A countywide conference addressing issues of diversity and mental illness.
- Recovery Conference A countywide conference addressing issues of recovery and mental illness.
- Trainings: Leading experts will address established and/or cutting edge practices in treatment, therapies or coping strategies for family dealing with mental illness.
- Law Enforcement Trainings (CIT) a presentation program that pairs a family member and a peer to present their stories to Sheriff’s deputies and Police Officers.
Find out about many other FREE courses and support groups at your local affiliate. See Affiliates page for how to get in touch!